Sneaky Salt Offenders
- It’s important to know that we need salt to function, the issue is that in Western cultures we’re consuming way too much!
- High Blood pressure
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Risk of stroke, heart attack and heart failure with increase
- Kidney disease
- The good news: this is preventable!!
Tips for reducing salt intake:
- Eat more fresh fruit and veggies
- Home-cooked meals
- Choose low-salt varieties
- Read labels (salt, baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, MSG – all high levels of sodium)
- Retrain your taste buds; the more salt you add the more tolerance you build up the increase in desire for salty tasting food!
Sneaky Salt Offenders:
- Breakfast cereals (muesli can be a ripper choice, but always read the label to check no salt has been added, or better still try making a batch of your own, it will taste awesome, keep for ages and you’ll know exactly what’s going in to your body!)… a bowl of cornflakes has the same amount of salt as a packet of potato chips!
- Processed, packaged prepared foods
- Takeaway, fast food and eating out
- Canned soups, sauces and flavour enhancers
- Bacon, sausages and most cheeses
- Cakes and biscuits
General Safe Salt Intake
- For an adult 19 years plus: 1600mg sodium per day
- For 4-8 year olds it’s around the 1400mg
Tags: Healthy Food, lola berry